|Alias||Ambrose Scramble, Ambrose Tournament|
|Number of players||2, 3, 4+|
|Team or Individual play||Team|
- While Ambrose can be played in teams of two to six players, it is usually played in twosomes or foursomes.
- All players of the team tee off, and the best shot is selected. The team members pick up their balls and place them within a hand’s length of the best shot and play their second shots from t This process continues until the ball is holed. On the putting green, all players must putt from the same spot.
- Only one score is recorded for each hole.
Ambrose is played with handicaps, which are determined based on the individual handicaps of team members. There are two common methods of calculating handicaps in Ambrose:
- Team members calculate their individual course handicaps, which are added together and then divided by double the number of players in the team. For a two-player team, the course handicaps of the two players will be added and then divided by 4. For a three-player team, the handicaps will be added and divided by 6; for a four-player team, handicaps of all four players are added and then divided by 8, and so on. For example, in a two-player team of Players A and B who have handicaps of 13 and 18, respectively, their total handicap would be calculated as follows:
(13 + 18) ÷ 4 = 7.75
The tournament organizers decide whether to round off this figure to 8 or truncate it to 7.
- Another method to calculate handicap is for each player to calculate their course handicap. Percentages are then applied on these as follows:For a two-player team, 35% of Player A’s course handicap is added to 15% of Player B’s course handicap.For a three-player team, 20% of Player A’s course handicap, 15% of Player B’s handicap, and 10% of Player C’s handicap are added together to determine the team handicap.For a four-player team, 20% of the A player’s course handicap, 15% of the Player B’s course handicap, 10% of Player C’s, and 5% of Player D’s course handicaps are added together.
In some tournaments, it is required that each player’s drive be used a certain number of times. Whether it is one, two, three, or more, it is decided by the tournament organizers before the start of the round. In most games, a minimum of three drives of each player has to be used.